In one of my previous posts on Winesworld’s I blogged about different types curry. It’s nice eating out sometimes, but there’s nothing better than making your own curry from scratch. The fragrance is wonderful and you get the satisfaction eating it and knowing that you have made it yourself.
It’s easy to make a South Indian homemade chicken masala, the preparation is probably the longest part. Here’s the recipe:
For the curry
• 2 chicken breasts, skinned and cut into small pieces
• 1 inch of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
• 3 garlic cloves
• 1 onion, finely sliced
• 1 green chilli, sliced
• 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
• 1 teaspoon chilli powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon tumeric
For the masala paste
• 1 tablespoon white poppy seeds
• 2 tablespoon coriander seeds
• 2 tablespoon chopped fresh coconut flesh
• 1 inch piece cinnamon stick
• 2 cardamom pods
• 2 cloves
Method – serves 4 people and takes around 1 hour to prepare/cook
1. Start off by making the masala paste. You could grind the ingredients together yourself using a pestle or make it easier by using a food processor to pulse the ingredients until you have a fine paste.
2. Next for the curry, make a paste by pounding the garlic cloves and ginger using a pestle or food processor.
3. Heat the sunflower oil in a pan and add the chilli and onion until they have softened. Then add both the pastes and fry between 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the chicken, turmeric, salt and chilli powder, then stir, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add about 4fl oz/125ml of water and cook until the chicken is tender.
6. Serve with rice!
Once you’ve tried cooking your own curry a few times, you may prefer your homemade ones compared to a curry from a takeaway or restaurant. With the increased cost of ingredients, spices, supplies,restaurant insurance quotes, hiring staff and other factors like people eating out less, curry houses will struggle to keep up with making great flavoursome curries.
It’s simple to make a curry, so why not invite your friends who like a bit of spice and have a curry night in!