Scientists have known for a long time that eating fruits offers health benefits. Before modern science analyzed the chemicals in fruits, doctors of ancient Greece advocated consumption of fruits to heal a variety of diseases.
Here are 12 fruits that are highly recommended their disease preventing and healing chemicals, but only eaten in moderate quantities and regularly.
- Apples – rich in vitamins C and E, and carotenoids help sight, and contain salicylic acid that prevent formation of blood clots, and antioxidants that eliminate free radicals. Apples contain 300 chemicals in very small amounts, which combined, make them both beneficial to the human body.
- Tomatoes – yes, tomatoes are fruits, and many in South America eat them with a little salt as a snack or fruit. They are rich in lycophene, responsible for their red colour. Lycophene, especially cooked lycopene, is touted to prevent prostate cancer.
- Cherries – cure abdominal diseases, prevent infection of skin, cancer, and strengthen muscles.
- Pineapples – are rich in vitamin C, strengthen the immune system, and contain bromalin.
- Grapefruits – are rich in nutrients, and antioxidants. Help skin regeneration and health. Improve sight.
- Kiwis – are rich in vitamin C, and minerals. Lower LDL cholesterol, and blood pressure. Help cure respiratory diseases.
- Strawberries – help lower blood pressure.
- Watermelons – contain many amino acids; enlarge blood vessels, lower blood pressure, and certain antioxidants that eliminate free radicals.
- Papayas – contain papain that helps the digestive process. Good for healthy skin.
- Pomegranates – help regenerate and create new cells, slow down the aging process, and accelerate disease recovery.
- Cranberries – strengthen the immune system, help prevent prostate-, mouth- and digestive tract cancers.
- Elderberries – prevent common cold, rejuvenate skin, good for lungs and breathing.
It is important to know that only ripe fruits contain all the vitamins and minerals mentioned above.
Medicinal Benefits of Twelve Fruits